As of today, March 31, 2014, US Airways is now a member of the oneworld alliance. The merger between US Airways and American Airlines was approved last year by the Department of Justice, with that it meant that the two airlines were free to unite as one. Earlier this year both airlines announced that US Airways would leave Star Alliance and join oneworld, mostly because American was one of the founding members and American is also the larger airline of the two.
oneworld was founded in 1999 by American Airlines, British Airways, Qantas Airways, Cathay Pacific and Canadian Airlines (no longer a member).
Now that US Airways is a member of oneworld, Dividend Miles members and AAdvantage members can both enjoy the benefits of being a oneworld flyer, such as:
- Seamless service to more than 150 countries;
- Earning and redeeming miles for travel on any oneworld member airline;
- Access to nearly 600 airport lounges worldwide when you fly First or Business Class on any oneworld member airline, or if you are oneworld Emerald or Sapphire member; and
- Reciprocal elite benefits including priority check-in, preferred or pre-reserved seats and more (benefits can vary by operating carrier).
US Airways members will no longer receive Dividend miles for flights operated by Star Alliance airlines. All travel done on or after March 31, 2014, on US Airways can only be credited to US Airways, American Airlines or members of the oneworld alliance. US Airways elite flyers will no longer be able to use Star Alliance lounges nor can US Airways Club members use United Club lounges.
US Airways is also offering Dividend Miles members a chance to earn up to 25,000 dividend miles by flying oneworld member airlines. The bonus miles will be credit based on how many oneworld flights you purchase. Click HERE to register for the promotion. To view the US Airways mileage earning rates on oneworld carriers click HERE.
- 1 purchase = 0 bonus miles
- 2 purchases = 500 bonus miles
- 3 purchases = 2,500 bonus miles
- 4 purchases = 5,000 bonus miles
- 5 purchases = 15,000 bonus miles
- 6+ purchases = 25,000 bonus miles
With all that being said, TAM Airlines has also joined the oneworld alliance today. TAM is the largest carrier in Brazil and offers longhaul flights between South America and North America and between South America and Europe. For a limited time, AA is offering double miles for flights on TAM Airlines. Its fleet consists of 137 aircraft operating over 800 daily departures. You can redeem your US Airways Dividend miles or American AAdvantage miles for travel on TAM Airlines effective today!
Welcome US Airways and TAM Airlines to the oneworld alliance!