Qantas Frequent Flyer will now have the ability to bid on upgrades seven days before their scheduled departure.
The bid now upgrade feature will only be available by invitation. Bid Now Upgrades will be allocated after all Classic Upgrade Rewards have been processed. Bid Now Upgrades will offer passengers an alternative chance to travel at the front of the plane using a combination of money and points.
According to Qantas’ press release, the new Bid Now Upgrade feature does not impact the chance of a frequent flyer receiving a Classic Upgrade Reward.
How Bid Now Upgrades works:
1. Customers invited to participate in Bid Now Upgrades will receive an email, seven days before departure, enabling them to make an offer for an upgrade within a set range of points and money.
2. Minimums are from 3,000 Qantas Points for a domestic upgrade and from 5,000 Qantas Points for an international upgrade. A minimum dollar amount will also be required.
3. Customers’ Bid Now Upgrades offer can be modified or cancelled at any time up until 24 hours before departure, but customers don’t see each other’s offers.
4. Customers will be notified via email approximately one day before departure if their offer has been successful or not.
5. If a customer is not successful, they pay nothing and keep their current seat.
For more information visit: www.qantas.com/bidnowupgrades
— Qantas (@Qantas) February 9, 2015